02 March 2007

Reflections of a 5th grader

My fifth grader will occassionally mention problems with classmates, ya know, typical 5th grade girl angst. She mostly takes issue with people who brag about themselves all the time. My oldest is, in my mom opinion, nothing like that type of person. I feel it's because she has a healthy self-esteem. I tried to explain to her that sometimes when people don't feel the greatest about themselves they need to brag to make themselves feel better. I guess my message was, be understanding and forgiving but don't let anyone push you around. Apparently my little speech brought forth a memory from second grade that she felt the need to share with me.

There is one classmate in particular that my daughter has problems with. She told me that one day in second grade she decided to stand up to her and tell her how mean she was and that it wasn't appreciated. She said she was feeling pretty good that she had been brave enough to confront this girl. Finally she said, "Then I realized my zipper was open."

Chalk that up to a lesson in humility.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ordinary linguistic personification, just like me! All the numbers which you asid are male for you are female for me and the female ones are male, But I agree upon three- that's a hard one, but still somehow more male, right? But I ahve eprsonalities to all numbers, letter, days and months - not only gender. Fo example, 9 is a tall, somehow beautiful woman, very manipulative with her husband 8 and mean with him, but in public she seems so elegant and even calm. I see her most of the time with the public eyes and them I like her, she has light hair and about 30-40 years old. November is a galliant, calm, reflective and incredibly intelligent male. R is a humorous high school boy, sporty, spontaneous a bit innocent and popular, but a bit vain as well, altough he's usually very happy and cracks jokes all the time - he's sporty as well and smart, but doesn't really learn fo school that much.
Google ordinary linguistic personification - it's a type of synesthesia.

Anonymous said...

1 2 5 7 10 are male
3 4 6 8 9 are female

"O Lord, help me to be pure, but not yet."
St. Augustine
Add to Technorati Favorites

I'm Reading

I'm Reading
The Night Villa
by Carol Goodman